Launching your dream website where you have put so much effort and time is sometimes overwhelming and comes with a great responsibility. For a smooth launch, an old school SEO checklist always comes in handy. Certain SEO considerations that must be undertaken can be organized into 3 basic parts:-
- Basic SEO
- On page SEO
- Content Optimization
1) Basic SEO
Following steps should be undertaken for the basic search engine optimization:
- Install Google Analytics: Analytics helps you gain an insight into the visitor’s mind making you understand him much better and being ultra responsive to the details can help you build more customers.
- Add website to the Google search console: Search console is a tool that helps you monitor and maintain your site presence in search results. In other words, it’s a cheat sheet for knowing what Google wants from your specific site and making changes to increase rankings and uncover things that need work on your site.
- Make sure your CMS is equipped: ensure that your Content Management System is equipped with an SEO plugin that allows you to write the title, description, image tags and to format your article (bold, italics, spell-check).
- Test the speed of the site: Testing the site speed to ensure hassle free insights into your site for the customers should be the top priority so that the visitors do not “ move on”.
- Make your site responsive: A well designed website must work effortlessly on all the devices like mobile phones, tablets, desktops etc.
- Run a SEO check: Run a SEO check for your website on google search console in order to improve the coding, mobile usability and crawl error functions.
2) On page SEO
On-page SEO is the practice of optimizing individual web pages in order to rank higher and earn more relevant traffic in search engines. On-page refers to both the content and HTML source code of a page that can be optimized. It helps you to bring more search engine traffic for every piece of content you provide on the site.
The following steps are considered helpful:
- Start title tag with your keyword: More closer is your title to the keyword, more is the probability of search engine result to display your site higher in the ranks.
- Add modifiers to your title: Modifiers like “2017”, “best”, “guide” etc with the title will help your keywords to be recognized.
- Use SEO friendly URLs: The URLs for your website should be short and rich with keywords.
- Use multimedia: Using interesting images, videos and other multimedia will help to increase the site recognition rate manifold.
- Responsive design: Make your site mobile friendly.
- Keyword settings: Your keyword must appear in first 100 words of the article.
- Internal Links: Provide at least 2-3 internal links in your content for every post.
- Image Optimization: ensure that your target keyword is a part of your image Alt Text.
- Social sharing buttons: Include social sharing buttons for platforms like facebook, twitter, linkedin etc which will provide an indirect marketing for your website.
3) Content optimization
The process of making your website’s home page or a particular page on your website more attractive to search engines and users is called optimization. There are several parts of your website that we will review and improve as part of this process. These include the content or copy, broken links, title tags and meta tags.
Once these improvements are implemented, search engines will find it easier to index your website and display it in relevant search results.Through content optimization, you are providing essential data that search engines will use to determine what your content is all about.
Follow the various steps for optimizing the content:
- Ensure that your content does justice to the title and contains all the necessary keywords. The content should be written in natural, conversational tone.
- Appropriate title tags must be used in order to meaningfully define your page’s content in the search engine result. For example, they are used by search engines as the link text for each search result they display. Additionally, they are often used on social media networks to describe the page when someone shares the content.
- Meta descriptions should specifically define what a visitor will find when they click to your content. Successful meta descriptions concisely state the purpose of the content page and include applicable keywords.
- Alt tags must definitely be included for every image as it serves as alternate text to describe the image when the image is not available to be displayed.
SEO is not just about the content optimization but about delivering your viewers a site with up to the mark rock solid content and minimum hassle which will indeed put your site on the “hot” list and thus bringing in more customers and more profits.