What are the necessary tips for hiring a good developer? I guess every start up company or even an established one wonders about the fact once in a while. A good developer is the one that is capable of standing out of the crowd, a one that can make his codes so perfect that no amount of testing can find a bug. Well, certainly, every organization drastically look for traits liek that in a person and often fails to find the one. well, for your utmost convenience, we have sorted out some of the best tips you can follow for hiring a good developer.
What exactly is a good developer?
“The best programmers are up to 28 times better than the worst programmers” – Robert. L. Glass
A good developer is one that does not only writes a solid quote but have several intangible traits that set him aside from others like positive attitude, supreme communication skills, great at time and task management and quick learning ability with broad technical experience. Organization are in severe need of some epic tips for finding a good developer who actually have all these traits.
Analytical mindset, curiosity and inquisitiveness, empathy, flexibility, pragmatism all combined makes a great developer.
Differentiating a great developer from an average one might sometimes be overwhelming. A great developer is the sole foundation of the project and you do not want to mess up your dream start up. A good developer doesn’t only write great code, but must also be a great member to their team, and blend well into the company culture. Sometimes it’s not about find who can program the best, but finding who is the right person.
It might be a daunting task but here are some tips on hiring a good developer that might make your work a little easy:-
- Think of the future– The technology keeps on changing and advancing and you ultimately have to grow with it. Hire a developer that is very much keen on thinking forward as well. Hire the one where you can feel that he/she will adapt quickly to the changes in technology and will be on the top of their game in no time.
- Outline the culture and specifics- With the companies looking for engineering unicorns on a daily basis, you need to hire a developer by making an old school “must have” list of all the qualities you require in them. For eg. for hiring an ios developer, he/she must be a C language pro with additional java knowledge for the back end. Do not toss out candidates based upon inexperience, sometimes a gem is right next to you.
- Consider the employ referral portal– The candidates employed by the employee referral cost less to recruit, get hired fast and stay with the company for a longer time. Adding notes about your company’s product, goals and incentives may help a great deal in hiring the excellent developers referred by the current employees.
- Hire for passion, not just for experience– One of the important tips for hiring a good developer is to find the ones that are rather passionate about your product will go on an extra mile in terms of your success and will eventually stick with you for long.
- Know the market price– Engineers are in great demand and the demand is always going to go up. Create a budget for the salaries, incentives etc you are offering to the developer and know what skills you can get in that budget.
- Check for their standard- Make the interviewer write a code based on your product and check whether or not he/she is able to clear the bugs and crashes in the required time. To ensure quality work by the whole team, make sure the new developer is very well disciplined and focused on the work.
- Portfolio– Every developer will have a bundle of file carried around with a list of all the experience he has on the similar projects you are hiring for. They should be able to show what and how they have been working on in the past. A properly experienced developer is bound to be good for a great end product.
- Do not choose cheap over quality– Another one of the important tips for hiring a good developer is the salary package you guys offer them. Most of the time, a great developer does not come for cheap and why not, they are indeed the cream of the profession. A developer confident enough to demand an expensive offer is most of the time bound to be very well trained and efficient in terms of work. Be smart enough to chose the quality developer over the inexpensive one or you might be ripped off.
- Have a 3 month probation period– you need to hire the developers on a probation period of 3 months for checking their efficiency to their smartness and ability to complete the tasks and handle the situations. You got to be ruthless sometimes on letting the developers pass the probation period. Hire the great developer, the good one is not worth the expenses.
- Hire slowly and fire fast– This may sound rather rude and old school but ultimately it is you at a loss if you hire a bad developer. Take your time to learn about whom who are hiring. Take their proper interviews and tests, check their social records. Interview as many candidates you want and find out the gem from them. It can indeed save you money and give you an advantage of being almost familiar with them. Firing a candidate is also overwhelming but an important measure to ensure your success and efficiency of the other staff.
Follow the necessary tips for hiring a good developer that can actually change the course of company’s success.
Do check out our post for Revamping your website.